MISSION: Midland School provides a unique college preparatory boarding school experience to a diverse student body. Through study and work it teaches the value of a lifetime of learning, self-reliance, simplicity, responsibility to community and the environment, and love for the outdoors.
PHILOSOPHY: Midland School is a community of students, teachers, and families in pursuit of academic excellence and moral lives. We are guided by the following principles:
· The essential ingredients of learning are a student, a teacher, and an idea.
· A high quality college preparatory education should be accessible to families of all economic means.
· A simple, self-reliant lifestyle, close to nature, teaches us to develop our inner resources, to distinguish between needs and wants, and to appreciate life’s fundamental joys and challenges.
· A school community entrusting students with authentic leadership roles, emphasizing individual and collective responsibility, and relying on its own work to meet its basic needs, prepares students to take care of themselves and to serve others.
· Connection to the environment, through academic education and everyday example, teaches students to be good stewards of the earth.
"Midland's philosophy helps its students become better people when they are introduced to the real world because they are already used to the idea of needs, not wants. I think Midland is the perfect place for me to create my path for my future."
~ Vanessa Barrera '08 (Wellesley)